Eligible students are offered Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Student Loans as part of the financial aid awarding process. Students who qualify will be notified by email with their awards are ready to be viewed and their awards will be posted on Portico.
In Portico you can decide whether to accept, decline or reduce the loan amounts offered to you. If you decided to accept student loans, we will process them and a Certification Letter with the amounts and estimated disbursement dates is sent to you.
First time borrowers at Fuller must also complete an Entrance Counseling Session before they can receive loan funds. Students who wish to apply for the Federal GRAD PLUS Loan should complete the GradPLUS FastApp on the Forms page.
To qualify for Federal Direct and Perkins Loan* you must:
- be accepted into a degree or certificate program and have a Regular admit status. Note: Federal Student Loans will not longer be available to Doctor of Ministry Students effective September 2007.
- be a United States citizen or legal Permanent Resident.
- be enrolled at least half-time (usually 6 units).
- be in compliance with the U.S. Selective Service if you are a man.
- NOT be in default on any current or prior federal student or Perkins loan.
- have a complete Financial Aid Application on file in the Office of Financial Aid.
- demonstrate financial need for Stafford Subsidized Loans. Financial need is calculated by Student Financial Services.
- complete any additional requirements that may become necessary due to special circumstances.
* Perkins loans are reserved for students with the highest levels of financial need as determined by the Office of Financial.
How to Apply
There are two forms that students need to complete to be considered for loans.
1. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
2. The Fuller Financial Aid application
Both these forms can be found on the Forms page. Students may also be required to submit additional information as requested by the Student Financial Services office.
After you have been awarded there are some additional steps you need to take to get your loans.
1. You need to accept your loans.
You can accept your loans in Portico. There you will be given the option to accept all of your loans, a portion of your loans or decline them. Once you submit your acceptance the Student Financial Services Office will start their certification process. You still have the option to adjust your loan amounts throughout the year but some restrictions may apply. You should contact the Student Financial Services office or see "What Do I Need To Know About My Loans?" for more information.
2. If this is the first time you are taking out loans at Fuller you will need to complete loan entrance counseling.
The Entrance Counseling session will begin with basic financial aid information and will end with a quiz. Don't worry, if you miss a question you will have the opportunity to answer it again. After all of the questions have been answered correctly, your results will be sent directly to the Student Financial Services Office. You may complete your counseling requirement by clicking on the link below. If you have any questions as you complete the counseling requirements, you may contact the Student Financial Services Office at (626) 584-5421 or by emailing email@example.com.
Click here to begin your ENTRANCE counseling session.
3. If this is your first loan at Fuller you will need to sign a Master Promissory Note
This can be completed at studentloans.gov. This is your agreement to pay back the loans you take out. Your loans can be certified before you complete this but they will not be disbursed until it is complete.