Fuller Theological Seminary was founded in 1947 by radio evangelist Charles E. Fuller, broadcaster of the “Old Fashioned Revival Hour,” in partnership with Harold John Ockenga, pastor of Park Street Church in Boston, Massachusetts. A total of 39 students enrolled in the first entering class in the fall of 1947, meeting initially at Lake Avenue Congregational Church in Pasadena, California, with four charter faculty. In 1953, the seminary moved to the present location of its main Pasadena campus.
Harold John Ockenga 1947-1954 and 1960-1963
Edward John Carnell 1954-1959
David Allan Hubbard 1963-1993
Richard J. Mouw 1993-present
School of Theology: Founded 1947
School of Psychology: Founded 1965
School of Intercultural Studies (Formerly School of World Mission): Founded 1965
The Western Association of Schools and Colleges granted accreditation to all three schools of Fuller Seminary in 1969.
In 1973, Fuller Seminary opened its first regional campuses in other cities for the training of lay persons in the context of the local church. By 1979, regional campus programs were operating in six cities in the western U.S. Today, Fuller's regional campuses are located in six geographical areas: Coastal California, Northern California, Washington, Colorado, Arizona, and Texas.
More than Six Decades of Service
In the 65 years since its founding, Fuller has grown to a current annual enrollment of more than 4,500 students, coming from 70 countries and more than 100 denominations. Faculty now number more than 80. From the single Bachelor of Divinity degree offered at its inception, Fuller now offers 18 different master’s and doctoral degree programs. Its first graduating class of 20 in 1950 has grown to classes of 700 in recent years. And today, more than 35,000 Fuller alumni minister in churches and communities across the globe.