PHD IN INTERCULTURAL STUDIES
- Completed and signed Application for Admission, including:
- Religious Autobiography and Ministry Experience Essays
- A $75 nonrefundable application fee (if the application is submitted online) or a $100 nonrefundable application fee (if the application is submitted via paper)
- Official transcripts from all postsecondary schools attended (undergraduate and graduate coursework)
- Evidence of obtaining a master's degree from an accredited institution with a grade point average of 3.5 or higher
- Successful completion of at least 80 quarter units of graduate-level course work of a theological nature that includes:
- Theology: at least 24 quarter units (16 semester units). These units cannot include biblical languages or “ministry” courses (i.e., preaching, homiletics, pastoral counseling, etc.)
- Missiology: at least 36 quarter units (24 semester units) with at least 4 units each of the following:
- Mission theology
- Global history of Christianity
- Cultural anthropology (or other social sciences theory or method)
The 36 units of missiology above must also include topic specific courses of at least 12 quarter units (8 semester units) that directly support the student’s chosen topic as demonstrated in the Proposed Research Interest Statement Outline.
- Three references: one pastoral and two academic
- A 250-300 word Proposed Research Interest Statement (PRIS) Outline (download PRIS Outline Guidelines).Note: A match between interests of the applicant and strengths of our current Fuller faculty is a critical factor in admissions decisions.
- A 15-30 page writing sample in English
- Applicants whose first language is not English must provide an official record of scores earned on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test. Only test scores earned within two years preceding the submission date of the applicant's current PhD application will be acceptable. TOEFL overall scores of at least 100 (internet-based) or 600 (paper), or IELTS overall scores of 7.0 meet the minimum English language entrance requirements. (Applicants who have previously completed a regionally-accredited Master's-level degree in English may submit a 300-400 word letter requesting to waive this requirement. The letter should provide a detailed explanation of the applicant's English-language background and a rationale for the waiver request. Letters requesting a waiver of the TOEFL/IELTS requirement may be emailed to Joel Short at firstname.lastname@example.org for the Center of Missiological Research's consideration.)
Application and file completion deadline: January 15
Notification date: March 21
PAYING FOR GRAD SCHOOL
Attending seminary is an investment in your future. We want to help you see more concretely what it costs to pursue a degree at Fuller, as well as the kinds of support available to you to potentially offset that cost. Click here to find average tuition for each of our programs, a cost estimator to help you calculate your approximate total expenses, and several questions and answers about your financial aid options with links to more information.