Skip to content

How Can I Get Loans?

Eligible students are offered Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Student Loans as part of the financial aid awarding process. Students who qualify will be notified by email (and their email account) when their awards are ready to be viewed and accepted.

Students can decide whether to accept, decline, or reduce the loan amounts offered to them. If a student decides to accept student loan funds, Student Financial Services will process the loan, and a Loan Certification Notice with the amounts and estimated disbursement dates will eventually be emailed to the student.

First time borrowers at Fuller must also complete an Entrance Counseling Session before they can receive loan funds. Students who wish to apply for the Federal GRAD PLUS Loan should complete the GradPLUS Application located on the Forms page.


To qualify for Federal Direct Loans you must:

  • be accepted into a degree program and have an eligible admission status (Doctor of Ministry and Certificate students are no longer eligible).
  • clear any "Provisional" admissions requirements with the Admissions Office
  • be a United States citizen or legal Permanent Resident.
  • be enrolled at least half-time (6 units in most degree programs).
  • be in compliance with the U.S. Selective Service if you are a male.
  • NOT be in default on any current or prior Federal loan or Perkins loan.
  • have a complete Fuller Financial Aid Application on file with Student Financial Services.
  • complete any additional requirements that may become necessary due to your particular circumstances.


In order to be considered for student loans, a student needs to submit the following items:

  1. Complete and submit the Fuller Financial Aid Application (FAAP).
  2. Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).Fuller's federal school code is G01200.
  3. Students may also be required to submit additional information as requested by the Student Financial Services office.

The FAFSA is to be completed at The FAAP can be accessed on Student Financial Services' Forms page.


After you have been awarded there are some additional steps you need to take to receive loans:

1. You need to accept your loan funds.
Of the loan funds offered to you, you will be given the option to accept all of the funds, a portion, or decline them altogether. Once you submit your acceptance of a loan, Student Financial Services will start the loan certification process. You still have the option to adjust your loan amounts throughout the year, but some restrictions may apply. You should contact Student Financial Services or see the "What Do I Need To Know About Loans?" section for more information.

2. If this is the first time you are taking out loans at Fuller you will need to complete Loan Entrance Counseling.
The Entrance Counseling session will begin with basic financial aid information and will end with a quiz. Don't worry, if you miss a question you will have the opportunity to answer it again. After all of the questions have been answered correctly, your results will be sent directly to the Student Financial Services Office. You may complete your counseling requirement by clicking on the link below.

Click here to begin your ENTRANCE counseling session.

3. If this is your first loan at Fuller you will need to sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN).
This can be completed at This is your agreement to pay back the loan funds you borrow. Your loans can be certified before you complete this, but the loan funds will not be disbursed until after the MPN is complete. Note: The Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the GradPlus Loan have different MPNs. If you will be borrowing both types of loans then you will complete two separate MPNs.

4. If you decrease your number of units, this will change your Cost of Attendance (COA) which could reduce your loan eligibility.  Please inform the SFS Office if you change your number of units within an academic year.