CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY TRANSFER CREDITS FAQS
CAN THE INSTITUTION DETERMINE HOW MANY TRANSFER CREDITS I WILL RECEIVE PRIOR TO ACCEPTANCE?
The institution does not determine transfer credit until a student is officially accepted to one of the clinical psychology programs.
WHAT ARE THE TRANSFER CREDIT RULES?
- Must be graduate-level coursework, taken for a grade, with a B or higher earned.
- Prior coursework must have been completed within 10 years of graduation from Fuller (in special cases, older work may be accepted).
- Cannot transfer more credits than course is worth in SOP.
- No credit is given for clinical training.
- Up to 6 units can be transferred for master’s level research, and waiver of the master’s project may be given (a separate waiver form is used for this).
- Up to 8 units of elective credit may be given for coursework with no equivalent in SOP.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF TRANSFER CREDIT?
There are two types of transfer credit: waiver and full transfer.
- Waiver but no credit is used primarily where a student has gained experience through undergraduate coursework or non-coursework. Retaking the course here would be redundant, but transfer credit cannot be given because there is no graduate course equivalent. The student must make up the units from the waived course in his or her electives (i.e., if waived out of a 4-unit required course, the student must take 4 units of extra electives to make up for it).
- Credit but no waiver is used for graduate-level courses which are valuable but which do not have a close equivalent at Fuller. This credit will be placed in the elective area of the curriculum.
- Both waiver and credit is the best result for the student. He or she is waived out of completing a course at Fuller and given credit for it so one does not need to make up any extra units.
WHO DECIDES IF I WILL RECEIVE TRANSFER CREDIT FOR A COURSE?
All transfer credit is up to the discretion of the faculty member who teaches the course for which the student is requesting credit.
WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF CREDITS THAT I CAN TRANSFER IN?
Students have the ability to transfer in up to half of a completed graduate degree; if no degree has been completed students can transfer in any and all applicable coursework.
HOW MUCH TIME CAN BE SUBTRACTED FROM THE OVERALL TIME OF THE PROGRAM IF I HAVE TRANSFERABLE CREDITS?
Up to one full academic year.
WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO REQUEST TRANSFER CREDIT?
Please submit a transcript as well as syllabi for any and all courses for which you are requesting transfer credit, to Sashi Smith, Associate Director of Academic Affairs (Sashismith@fuller.edu). This material should only be submitted when an official grade for the course has been given.
HOW MANY QUARTER UNITS TO ONE SEMESTER UNITS?
One semester unit equals 1.33 quarter units. Therefore, a 3-unit semester class is equivalent to a 4-unit quarter class.
WHAT IF I HAVE SOME THEOLOGY COURSEWORK COMPLETED, WHAT CAN I TRANSFER IN FOR THEOLOGY?
All theology coursework transfer must be requested through the SOT Academic Advising Office.
HOW DOES ADVANCED STANDING WORK?
Advanced standing involves collapsing the 3rd and 4th years of the program into one, usually meaning that Practicum II and Clerkship are taken concurrently. Approval for advanced standing is given by the faculty, and is based on (a) quantity of transfer credit, (b) clinical experience prior to Fuller, and (c) clinical performance during the first 4 quarters at Fuller.
WHO SHOULD I CONTACT IF I HAVE FURTHER QUESTIONS?
Sashi Smith, Associate Director of Academic Affairs: Sashismith@fuller.edu