The Next Faithful Step
Part 4: Leading for Transformative Change
Scott Cormode, Fuller Seminary
"How do you help someone change who desperately needs to change but desperately does not want to change?"
- Technical And Adaptive Change
- TECHNICAL PROBLEMS
- ADAPTIVE CHALLENGES
- When is adaptive work necessary?
- "You can't quit smoking for someone else."
- Examples of adaptive change in religious organizations
- ADAPTIVE CHANGE CANNOT BE IMPOSED; IT MUST BE EVOKED
- People have to "discover" the problem in order to make their own
- It requires an environment and not just information
- "LEADERS HAVE TO FAIL PEOPLE'S EXPECTATIONS AT A RATE THEY CAN STAND."
- LEADERS CANNOT USE TECHNICAL MEANS TO ADAPTIVE ENDS
- Avoiding Adaptive Work
- "PEOPLE DON'T RESIST CHANGE; THEY RESIST LOSS"
- ALL LOSS REQUIRES A GRIEF PROCESS
- "LEADERS BEAR PAIN; THEY DO NOT INFLICT IT"
- AVOIDANCE OFTEN HAPPENS BECAUSE A PERSON HAS A GREATER COMMITMENT TO A COMPETING VALUE
- Constructing A Holding Environment
- CONSTRUCTING A HOLDING ENVIRONMENT REQUIRES A "BALCONY" PERSPECTIVE
- AVOIDANCE HAPPENS WHEN PEOPLE FEEL THE PROBLEM TOO LITTLE OR TOO MUCH
- HOLDING ENVIRONMENT: SAFE AND UNCOMFORTABLE
- TURN UP THE HEAT; TURN DOWN THE HEAT
- FAILING EXPECTATIONS I: PEOPLE EXPECT LEADERS TO TAKE AWAY PROBLEMS
- FAILING EXPECTATIONS II: PEOPLE EXPECT LEADERS TO ANSWER QUESTIONS
- Jumpstarting The Change Process
- SMALL WINS: "I BELIEVE IN ORGANIZATIONAL MOMENTUM."
- DESIGN FOR EARLY SUCCESSES
- Experiments on the Margins
- "Back them when they make mistakes."
- HELP PEOPLE "IMAGINE THEIR WAY INTO CHANGE"
- Re-inventing the Past: Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg
- Naming the Future: Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream
- The Dangers of the Present: Lincoln's Second Inaugural
- Execute Change Over Time: Maintain Disciplined Attention
- ACTIVATE THE ISSUE
- Snatching defeating from victory
- Dealing with disloyalty to the past
- AUTHORITY PROVIDES THE ABILITY TO DIRECT ATTENTION
- Getting authorized
- Leadership as Educatio
- Educating about process is as important as educating about issue
- Authority as a constraint
- GARBAGE CAN THEORY
- ACTIVATE THE ISSUE
- Adaptive Change Comes From The Bottom Up
- GIVE THE WORK BACK TO THE PEOPLE
- PROTECT "VOICES FROM BELOW"
- Preventing Things That Endanger Change
- MANAGING YOUR BOSS
- AVOIDING ASSASSINATION